[RC] Bandit Springs Update - adam and jannelle

Hi All!

Gary Pegg, Sylvia and Chris Dion and my family were all up at the Bandit Springs ride camp this weekend.  Gary has taken 18+ trees out this year and we’re going to have to call him the Bonsai Butcher as he has a very distinctive, um, tree trimming style.  While not beautiful, it certain should please the riders.  You will be able to tell that Gary does not want to clear out the face slappers much in the future!

We are finding cow and elk trails to take riders off of some of the roads again this year.  Little by little, we’ll get you off the road in a manner pleasing to the Forest Service.  Speaking of cows and elk, yes, there are both…and the wild horses, too.  Usually, the early riders will see the horses on the 20 mile loop for sure and some lucky folks will see a few later in the day on the 20.  Most of the elk are on the 30 mile loop but there were some spotted fairly close to camp this last weekend.  And on the 30 mile loop, on the piece to the out check, there are signs of another group of wild horses so we might be lucky and see them there this year.

There’s lots of natural water this year and the wild flowers are a bit slow in coming.  It should be spectacular by ride time.  The irises are just finishing and the Indian Paintbrushes are just popping up and the mallow should be in full swing by the ride.  There are some spots that are still a little boggy (muddy) but those should be pretty dry in 10 days.  The deepest water crossing is about 4-6” and around 8’ wide.  We’ll also have water tanks in strategic spots.

We’ve got a great vet crew with headvet, Cassee Terry, treatment vet, Joe Roberts, Robert Washington, Kim Maltman and Chris Cane.

Vendors will include:  Healthy as a Horse, Becky’s Chuckwagon, Sharon Adena and Randy Reinhart (LMTs for human and the horse you rode in on), Bruce Worman (farrier).  I’m working on the photographer right now and will possibly be adding one or two other vendors.  Keep checking the website as I will update it as I get more info.

The weed free hay will probably be this year’s cutting and 65lb bales and very reasonably priced in the $8 range (won’t know until closer to the ride for sure).  There’s a high likelihood that the Forest Service will come checking.  I know they will visit on Friday or Saturday and will probably be looking or asking.

I am continuing to add info to the website so check back for updates.  I have fixed (I think!!!) the Sunday ride payment problems so you should be able to use it now.  Don’t forget that if you register before July 1, you get a $10 discount AND you help me by making it easier to have packets ready for you upon arrival.  Pre-payment is welcomed but not required.  After July 1, please do not mail your entries in.  I will not be processing any more entries until the ride after July 1.  If you pre-enter, you will get the discounted rates even if you change or add rides at the ride.

I think that’s about all for now…call, email or send smoke signals if you have questions or concerns.

Jannelle and crew…

Jannelle Wilde

584 Romie Howard Rd

Yoncalla OR 97499