[RC] Tevis Educational Ride - Bruce Weary

I just returned from the Tevis Educational Ride, sponsored by the Western States Trail Foundation, and had a great time. It is the second time I have attended this event,
which is offered every other year. It offers some rare opportunities: to see some 65 miles of the Tevis trail in the daylight, to camp at Robinson Flat, and to test your horse and
horsemanship on a large segment of the world's toughest 100 mile endurance trail with the benefit of veterinary supervision.
We arrived on Friday at Robinson Flat, and found a choice parking spot amidst the pines and boulders. That evening, several Tevis dignitaries gave chats on everything
from trail etiquette to conditioning, hydration, pacing and saddle fit. That night, we were treated to a rain and lighting storm, after which dawned a cool, clear morning, and
perfect weather conditions under which to enjoy the trail. We set out in staggered groups, led and dragged by riders who were very knowledgeable about the trail. Vet checks
were performed on all horses before, during, and after the ride, with lunch served at the midway point each day. The first day's ride traveled west out of Robinson through
canyons that still reflect the devastation of recent forest fires, but were picturesque, nonetheless. The new undergrowth, however, is extensive and impressive. Nature finds a way.
After about 14 miles we reached Last Chance, which served as a vet check and lunch stop before heading into the first of three canyons on the way to Michigan Bluff and beyond.
The canyons are very steep and very tough. It was good to know my horse could carry me out of both of them and recover nicely at the top, though on ride day, I will probably
help him by tailing significant sections. The day ended at Foresthill, where we were treated to a wonderful barbeque and more informative talks by Tevis experts.
The next day's trail sent us through the town of Foresthill to the California trail, which mostly descends for some 17 miles through some very spectacular scenery, on its
way to Francisco's. Lunch was served here, along with a vet check, after which we headed toward Auburn, but not before basking in the cool, clear waters of the American River, and
crossing No Hands Bridge. Even though it's not Tevis, it was a pretty powerful moment coming out of the trees into the sunlight of the finish line at the Auburn Overlook, with a horse
that was ready for more.
The day was not without its adventures. Typical stuff--bees stinging some horses and riders, with a few rodeos immediately following, some riders found they needed
to go back to the drawing board in making their hoof boots more securely applied, one horse was sent for treatment, and a few horses were pulled for lameness and fatigue.

My hat is off to the WSTF and its members who worked triple overtime to arrange and execute this weekend. This trail is not for sissies. As Hal Hall would say, it is "Unforgiving
to the ill-prepared." Even under more sedate circumstances such as these.
I highly recommend doing this ride, whether you plan to do Tevis someday or not. Allowing both horse and rider to see the trail beforehand, will help immensely in pursuing a
Tevis buckle. On a safe, reliable horse, it is a true equestrian adventure. In the interest of safety, every rider should be a very experienced horseperson, and each horse
should be rateable, get along with other horses, and stand quietly when asked. All tack and hoofwear should be tried and true. A sense of humor and a little patience
should also be in your saddle bags.:) Thank you WSTF for all you have done and continue to do for the historic and majestic Tevis trail, and the
horses, riders, and runners who travel it. Bruce Weary

PS Everyone please wish the runners good luck this coming weekend as they test their mettle against that 100 miles of rock, heat, dust, and scenery. Rumor has it
that the weather calls for temperatures of 100 degrees on the day of the run.