[RC] SCCHA Endurance Educational Ride - Kathy Mayeda

I had originally signed up for the Tevis Educational Ride with Drako,
but chickened out because I felt he wasn't quite ready yet to do those
trails.   Hopefully he'll be ready for the next one before he gets too
old to do endurance!

I instead hauled someone to the Santa Cruz County Horseman's
Assocation for their endurance education ride.   Even though clinic
was geared towards those who want to experience endurance for the
first time, I still learned some things that I forgot or didn't
consider before about trail safety, first aid, what to do at a ride
camp (or NOT to do) and vet check procedures.   The speakers were
excellent!   We rode in Henry Cowell State Park which was quite
beautiful and fun with some technical single track trails and some
wider trails with excellent footing.  There was something for
everyone.  It was a really good experience for hot headed Drako as he
had to pace with experienced endurance horses.  I expected that this
ride would be more for Drako's education than my own, but I thing we
both benefited!

Consider going to an educational clinic, this one or another one in
your area.  Even if you have some experience, you might consider
taking your inexperienced horses to these events as well.  I was
surprised as to how much I enjoyed it, and welcomed the refresher
course.

K.