[RC] mules on the swinging bridge/Tevis - sherman

Title: Message
Swinging Bridge is  the one where riders are asked to get off and lead across. I haven't heard of any problems with mules and did see two or three going up the canyon beyond it. Now that was a problem, but apparently they were flatlander mules and not accustomed to so much climbing. One of my riding buddies had no problems with his mule during Tevis, until he reached the Auburn Overlook. When his mule saw the lights and heard the people applauding he spun around and ran back down the trail. He was eventually able to turn him back around, but it was not a quick return.

I remember reading a recommendation to NOT stay at the higher elevation for very long, unless you will be there for two weeks or more. The horse's system starts adapting to the higher elevation and you don't really want that since you'll be down the mountain soon.

Kathy