Re: [RC] cougars - Truman Prevatt

Several years ago Florida Fish and Game Commission imported male cougars from the West in oder to expand the gene pool of the Florida Panther. The Florida Panther is closely related to the Western cougar.

They tagged the new residents and within a year one was found in Northeast Georgia. So these beast will roam over a very large area. I would be surprised that if there are not cougars in Northern AL. One theory about the outbreak of the coyote population in the East is blamed on the winter of 1979 when the Mississippi froze solid very far South and gave them a bridge over the river. When I was a kid in Western, KY (a year or so prior to 1979) we did not have coyotes. It such a migration over a frozen bridge brought coyotes, I expect a cougar or two might have also migrated.

Truman

Jody Rogers-Buttram wrote:
Thanks....looks like we won't have a chance to ride until Sunday, and it may be late Sunday when we go.  I did call the FS, and they acted like that was all news to them.  But I have had other people tell me that the FS doesn't want to admit they (the cats) are up there.  Too many people have seen them though.

Jody

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan