[RC] re: easy keepers on green pasture - Cindy Stafford

Responding to the earlier post on this subject -

I have my horse on pasture 24/7 in the midwest.  She's an easy keeper and in the past have been able to keep her weight off with riding her 3X a week.  She's not ridden hard or long, lots of walking and trotting for 1-2 hrs.  Her pasture is also very large and she's out with other horses, so they do walk and run around on their own a bit.

In the past that has worked, but she did get a touch of laminitis this spring and had to take her off the grass.  She was only being ridden about once a week at the time, so don't know if the less exercise is what caused it (no probs previous springs) or something else.

Now that the grass has been grazed down and its later in the year, she's going back out.

Hope that helps.
cindy