Re: [RC] Any OD 100/50 Info? - steelsidedown

I did take my laptop, but there was simply no time for typing!!!  :-)  Cell
service up there is really sketchy.  Will try to get all details correct, bear
with my sleep deprived self!  :-)

A long story, but I found myself without a mount this year, so I volunteered as
an ambulance driver.  I had a fabulous time!!

We pulled into camp to find a HUGE upgrade, Gus Politis put in a hearty new
gravel roadway!  No more mud bogging for us!   We voted at this morning's
awards to name it "Politis Blvd".  We cannot applaud him enough for taking on
and completing this huge undertaking in time for this year's ride.

Joe & Nancy did an excellent job keeping all things running smoothly - as they
always do.  >wild applause<

This year's raffle horse spent the weekend at the ride, she's one tough
looking filly!

Friday afternoon nearly went off without mishap.  We did fill the camping
field, but that was easily remedied by using a bit more field next door.  After
dinner, a group of three horses spooked out of their electric corral, and had a
close encounter with the barbed wire perimeter fence.  :-O  I believe it was
Joe Selden, that remarked something to the effect of; only endurance riders
would stop, drop everything, and run to protect and catch competitors horse,
the horse that may well take the win from you tomorrow.  He's right, and we
should all be proud we have created and maintained the environment to compete
in.  (BTW, The horse that hit the wire was scratched, but fine, and finished
the 100.)

Saturday morning was cool for June in VA, and the horses thrived.  The heat of
the day peaked only at 80', moderate humidity.

We heard rave reviews on the trail markings, and I must say Gus had even put
turn ribbons on the paved roads for us driving to the vet checks -- now that is
really spoiling us!

One rider went missing for several hours.  Management was quick to assess the
situation and call the local authorities for help.  It seems that 3 members of
the Search and Rescue Team were OD drag riders!  Yeah, like, wow!  Those
members were Zowie, John Marsh, and John Proudman.  In a short time, said rider
was located after she made her way to a vet check, unharmed, as was her horse.
insert chorus of hallelujah<

Only one horse out of the near 150 that started needed treatment!  Everyone did
a fabulous job, wellllll except Dr. Lynn, ya'll didn't give her any work to do!
(just kiddin!)

Mary posted the ride results, so I won't bore you with that again, but I do
have some other notes from the awards ceremony.

First, and most important, our "MC" Jack Weber seems to be lobbying for a new
OD law.... no filibusters allowed!  >evil grin<  Lost/loose dogs shall be held
for ransom, a new fundraising technique!  However lost/loose children will be
given two mountain dews, 3 candy bars, a new puppy, and promptly returned!  :-O
So ya'll keep a watch on all creatures shorter than you next year!  (err...
that doesn't exactly apply to you Angie!  >g<)

Pete Fields received the OD Hall of Fame Award for his too numerous to list
contributions over 30+ years.  He received a well deserved standing ovation.

The first to finish in the 55, finished in 5 hours 12 mins, the last in 10
hours 30 mins.  (no where near overtime!)  69 started, 56 finished.  Rookie
horse & rider award went to Jennifer Stevenson.  1st place team was the "Four
Non Blondes" consisting of Andy & Hunter Green, Meg Sleeper, Dave Augustine,
and Jennifer Alexander (?).  2nd place team "Blonde Bombshells" consisting of
Kathy Brunjes, Kara Thomas, Sara F, and Daryl Downs (honorary blonde).  3rd
place team "2 Hokies Who Wanna ..."  Ashley Kermerer and Dana Reeder.

The first to finish in the 100, finished in 12 hours and 17 mins, I didn't
catch the time on the turtle.  33 started, 24 finished.  Claire Godwin and
"Amose" finished first and received the perpetual Ray Price memorial portrait,
Ruth Ann Everett finished second and BC, Kim Orr's flashy chestnut received the
high vet score,  Kathy Shank and Wind Dancer Bey received the OD Trophy and
Calvary award, turtle was Tom Polinzi (sp?), the P.B. award (ask Mary Coleman)
went to Dawn Engle.  1st place team "The Boston Red Sox" consisting of Tom
Hutchinson, Kim Orr, Sandra Conner, and Claire Godwin.  2nd place team "No
Names" consisting of Kyle Gibbon, Steve Rojek, Kathy Shank, and Chris
Littlefield.  3rd place team "3 girls and a Newman" consisting of Dr.Genie
Waldron, Mckenzie, Lynn Gilbert, and Stagg Newman.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to slight the 25 milers, I was out following the 100s
and truly missed their day.  :-(  I did hear there were only 3 pulls!  43
started, 40 finished.

Many lovely and very useful awards, huge thanks are due to all the generous
sponsors.

See ya next year!
Jen