We had a 6 mule pack team bringing supplies to our Forest Service Survey camp in the Montana mountains. Whenever the pack team stopped in a meadow for a rest there was obvious concentrated damage. Had the packers taken the time and energy to separate the mules the damage would have been much less obvious and regrow much faster but of course they never did it. The "no grazing" rule was probably instituted because of that type of concentrated pack team damage.

I would think that a single horse carefully managed could go unnoticed thru the "no grazing" zone packing just enough hay to pass inspection. The rider would be able to say "my horse is not grazing, see I'm packing his hay" and it would be true. ;-)

Don Huston

At 06:30 AM 6/13/2009 Saturday, you wrote:
Don, the packer they talked to prior to Janice leaving from Tehachapi, said absolutely no grazing. If she would to be caught doing so, she would be fined and made to leave. The packers can't even graze their animals.

Lori

--- On Fri, 6/12/09, Don Huston <donhuston@xxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Don Huston <donhuston@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] [Endurance Tracks] Cleveland woman begins six-month journey on horseback
To: wrecksduke@xxxxxxxxx, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, June 12, 2009, 10:54 PM

Do you know if Janice is GPS'ing her ride? Does she report into a website? Can we leave messages for her?

The main complaint against grazing is the animals pull up the roots. A person with a small sickle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle can cut a large amount of grass and weeds in an hour or so without damaging the roots and leave the grass looking manicured.

http://tinyurl.com/Buy-Sickle and a tool to keep it sharp http://tinyurl.com/Chef-Master or http://tinyurl.com/Sickle-Sharpener  I have used these types of sharpeners on my brush cutting tools and they work great.

Don Huston