Re: [RC] lame horse mystery - Elizabeth Walker

I snipped the original post - I think it got bounced for length. If not, sorry for the duplicate.

OK -- unsubstantiated opinions here.....

It still could be DSLD. There are apparently some horses whose fetlocks don't drop. However, getting a definitive diagnosis might be hard, and at the least requires an ultrasound from someone who knows what to look for. So - it could be expensive, and may not be an option.

Regardless of what it is, here are some possibilities to look into that might help the horse be more comfortable. The second and third suggestions are what I am trying now with Caisson. He was diagnosed with chronic inflammation and enlargement of the suspensory branches. I've retired him from endurance, even though the vet said he 'might' be able to do 25's - we are trying dressage. :) The vet didn't call it DSLD, but the ultrasound findings sound very similar to what I have read on that site. He doesn't have dropped fetlocks - one of the consulting vets started to say that it 'might' happen, then changed his mind and said he might not... Anyhow, I haven't been doing this for long - about 3 weeks, but I've seen an improvement.

1- Getting the horse to lose weight: What about having a vet discuss the horse's weight with her? Maybe use a weight tape as well, so the lady can *see* what the current weight is, and compare it to a horse with a similar build that isn't overweight. Also possibly take her around some of the other horses, and show her what you look at when a horse is overweight, underweight, etc.: fat pockets, flesh over the ribs - what is OK and what is too much. Things like that.

2- Since I retired Caisson, I have put him on MSM ($7.95 for a small tub), and I think it, along with a new hoof trim, has made a difference. He used to get puffy ankles, even with light work, unless I iced him and walked him out. Even on his days off, his ankles would be a bit puffy. He has been on it for a couple of weeks, is being ridden 3 - 5 days a week (3 days in the arena, 2 days light trail), and the ankles are staying trim.
I'm going to shift him to SmartPaks "SmartTendon", as it contains silica as well, to provide ligament support. However, without knowing what is really wrong with this lady's horse, I can't say it would be worth it to suggest it for her. The 99% pure MSM is cheaper.

3- Shoeing. You didn't say anything about the horses' feet, but if the feet are even slightly 'long toe / low heel', that is going to make things worse. This last shoeing, my farrier did a "block" on Caisson to help relieve strain on the suspensories. He left the heel, and cut the toe back quite a bit, as well as squared it off. It puts the breakover point well back from a "standard" shoeing job. This is not "square off the toe", or "roll the toe" - it really is cut back as much as possible, and the shoe set back on the foot, even with the shortened toe. I'm sure one of the farriers on the list can describe this better than I can.