[RC] Skinny Horse - Alexa Olney

I grew up seeing my fair share of rescue horses.  My mother just did it on a
private basis taking in one or two a year and rehabilitating them and finding
them homes.  I think we need to get our definitions straight skinny is a
product of being starved.  The grey horse is very very thin on the edge of
emaciated. By the looks of this horse he would have looked just like the bay
horse given another 1 to 2 weeks, it looks like he had just started to
metabolize his muscle.  The bay filly I would call very emaciated by the way
she has no muscle left.

If he is healthy besides just a lack of food he should make a great recovery.
Two of our most recent rescues were very similar cases.  We had seen the horses
before.  They were nice and healthy and then when we got the call a while later
that they were for sale we showed to an unrecognizable pile of bones.  The last
horse was a stallion and the person who had him had flyers up with pictures of
this fat, shiny, happy horse.  We got him home and my dad takes a look at the
flyer and at him and asked where the other half of his horse was.  He has made
a great recovery, he is now a gelding and a good trail horse.

Good luck Angie it looks like you have found a real gem.  I think that when you
get one in poor condition and you help them recover it really creates a close
bond.

Alexa Campbell