[RC] State Parks/OHV/Trails - Ann Blankenship

Karen said:

Curious if you folks knew the State was funding and running an ORV/ATV park down near Hollister.....it's run by the State Park system (ORV areas mostly are national forest, BLM, etc)...

Yes, we have a similar park down off Hwy 50 near Sacramento.  We also have the big OHV park across the river from the Tevis trail in Auburn.  Off road may not be our sport of choice but lots of people love it and have big $$ invested in their 'toys' as we do in our horses.  Unfortunately, if you shut down their playground, they will come and play on ours.

On another note:  the closing of state parks is (IMO) a tragedy not only for us riders, but for the huge numbers of families with kids for whom this is their only nature experience.  Early camping experiences are often the motivation for adults to want to protect our nature and wild areas.  If we want to save our parks for the future, we need to introduce them to the young people.

Ann