[RC] Nylon Stirrups - sherman

Title: Message
I had the same experience this past weekend at the Wild West Ride with my aluminum stirrup breaking and falling off. After reading about the possibility of a foot getting caught in a crushed aluminum stirrup, I'd convinced myself that I'd buy a nylon set to replace the broken ones. I'm surprised that the nylon ones were nearly new when they broke though. Could it have been a defect in the  manufacturing process? Surely even with the stress of posting for several hundred miles, they should last a year or 2? My aluminum ones were probably 2 years old at least, and had had a few encounters with trees, boulders, etc, and, if I'd checked them before the ride I would have seen the stress fracture starting. I suppose there would be nothing visible to check with the nylon stirrups? I have decided (after riding a bouncing 16H, stressed out horse for 17 miles without 2 stirrups) that I'd carry a spare set of stirrups, something small, probably English...anything to avoid what I went thru this past weekend.

But for my new wide trail stirrups, maybe I'll have to stick with the aluminum and just hope my foot doesn't get caught up in it if my horse falls and crushes the stirrup...decisions, decisions!

Kathy