[RC] Protective riding wear - Barbara McCrary

I just returned from a month in England, and was interested to discover that most riders wear protective vests as well as helmets.  One rider told me her vest protected her from broken ribs during a nasty fall.  Their vests look more efficient than any I've seen here...fewer panels.  The rider told me hers is very comfortable...she hardly knows she's wearing it.  I think I had the impression that vests were mandatory for stables and competitive events, at least.  Interesting....
Also, it is apparent that since it seems to rain a lot there, most outdoors people just get on with life.  I saw bicyclists riding in the rain in shorts, horseback riders in the rain, dog-walkers and hikers in the rain.  I'm happy to be back in CA where the rain tends to confine itself to the winter and spring months.  Of course, England is green...all the time.  Very beautiful...

Barbara