Subject: [RC] Ground Control and Epona Shoes - Dream Weaver

I'm not using them any more, but the first year Chief won the mileage championship he used Ground Controls and completed over 2,000 miles in them. They worked really well. I think there were times when he got 400 or even 500 miles out of a set but I usually liked to always have a fresh set on before going to a 5 day ride. Once they get past a certain amount of wear they would tend to get small pebbles underneath which were difficult to get out. If I were to need to put shoes on one of my riding horses again I would definitely try to use GC's on them rather than metal shoes. I think that GC's did a lot to help Chief transition to barefoot without any need for a transition period. The shoes themselves need to be applied correctly and also need to fit the shape of the foot right. There are other plastics shoes out there with more shapes and sizes that will work of the GC's don't. I think that they worked so well for my horse in part because he did have really good hoof quality, the right shape for them and nice thick hoofwall.

I just used the Renegade glue-ons on Chief, took them off yesterday in Austin during the trip home after having them on for three weeks. He completed Washoe 50 (the day it rained and was muddy), 100 miles at Mt. Carmel (Days 1 and 3) and another 50 at Hell's Kitchen Canyon on Sunday in them. They were still on super good and not even close to coming off and there was no glue release anywhere - everything was still stuck pretty good. The boots inside were also really clean without so much as a single pebble - I think I got more stuff up under the GC shoes than I'm getting with these boots. The boots could have easily done another 50 or two so would work well for a 5 day ride especially when you consider that Chief put a lot of miles on his boots in between the three weekends he was doing endurance competitions.

Karen
http://www.enduranceridestuff.com