From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Terry Banister
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:06 PM
To: tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; shelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] I poked the stick in the hornet nest (drug rule)

However, you can feed your horse anything you want before a competition ~ as long as it is not competing under the influence of that substance on race day! You can feed Triple Crown, or rice bran or oats or anything you want as part of the normal diet. It is only on race day that the criteria levels matter.

Perhaps another example would make this more clear:
Gastrogaurd is an ulcer medicine that would be illegal to use on race day. But you can give your horse medications (for anything) as long as it is not competing under the influence of the medication/drug. That would mean that you would need to be finished with it or suspend usage soon enough for horse's system to be clear of it on competition day. In most cases that is 72 hours, but I add another 24 hrs. and go with 96 hours.

Terry
"May the Horse be with You"