[RC] purple flowers and piosonious plant gene - Alexa Olney

Okay so I'm not crazy my horse really is spooking at purple flowers.  I have
had this problem also.  I know that there was an article in Equus a few years
back that talked about piosonious( I think I misspelled) plants and that some
horses have a gene that makes it so they recognize and wont eat certain plants.
I cant remember what the trigger was but I would assume that scent has
something to do with it.  Now I am pretty sure that my horse has this gene he
has proven it time and time again.  We come across alot of fiddleneck were we
live and the other horses will eat it and he won't.  Also when we are out on
the trail far away from home and I suspect that a plant might be bad he will
sniff it and won't eat it.  If there's grass around it he will carefully eat
around the plant.

So I wonder if these horses we speak of have this gene.  Maybe they are
catching the scent and their flight reflex kicks in since we come across things
quickly on the trail.  This would definitly be interesting to look into.  Also
to know if purple is a common color for piosonious plants or if the color has a
scent pattern.

This would definitly give us all an excuse when our horse is just plain being
stupid.  We can just say they smell a piosonious plant!

Alexa Campbell