[RC] Folsom lake accident - Ranelle Rubin - sherman

Title: Message
The ranger I spoke with said just call and report, don't say anything confrontational to the users, they won't know to go hide. That's the way to catch them. These guys know they aren't supposed to be here they are taking advantage of the drought conditions of the lake. It doesn't have to do with education since they are blatently disregarding the law. We do have pretty good relationships with other users of the trails around here, IMO. We work together to build and maintain trails and probably 99.9% of users are courteous and respectful. Even those bike riders that Ranelle ran into, even tho they were disregarding the law, they do their riding of those trails at night because they think no horses will be there to get scared. It is too bad that they are so driven to ride on trails where they don't belong as they have similar legal ones that horses don't go on and some that are shared, but they actually choose night riding to avoid the horse traffic.

Now I'm off to ride one of those shared trails right now. We know to look out for other uses and yell loud if the bikers are watching the ground below them instead of what is approaching ahead of them (:>)

Kathy

Ranelle wrote:

Calling the State Park dispatch does work though. One night we were coming to the end of the Tevis trail just at dusk after a long ride. There were some mtn bikers heading down toward the river where they could be picked up. The trail is clearly marked in several areas as "no bikes" due to the single track/edge of canyon type of trails that exist there. They caused our horses to spook, and nearly go off a cliff. I was ticked beyond belief, and got out my cell to call. They did get picked up at the bridge and cited.

I sure hope they catch these guys and prosecute!