[RC] FW: LBHA - Riders terrorized on State Park Trails - sindy mccosker

To: lbha@xxxxxxx
Subject: LBHA - Riders terrorized on State Park Trails
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:58:43 -0800

Hi Members and friends.

On January 3ed  there was a tragic event out on the trails at Folsom Lake.  Three dirt bikes terrorized two riders until both were thrown and the two horses galloped off.  One horse was OK and ran back to Folsom Lake Equestrian Center. Luckily both riders were OK, but traumatized and bruised , needless to say. However the second horse,  a young 4 year old was not so lucky.  This horse suffered a broken leg and after a time a vet was able to get to the site to put the horse out of his suffering.   Later another rider was scared by the bikes. However, she didn’t  want to make a report.

 There is word  in the Off Highway Vehicle community  about who might be responsible.  LBHA and several other groups are working on a solution to help Parks deal with horse injuries and ways to prevent them from happening.  All horsemen need to be involved.

We need your help on this.  First, if you see any vandalism or have a conflict with a trail user not allowed on a section of trail you are riding, or see vandalism or bikes, dirt bikes or other non-authorized users in an the wrong area, please send us a report using the Trail Comment Form on the LBHA web site. This provides a written record of events on our trails both good and bad.   But, first if you have a cell phone, please call State Parks Dispatch if you are on a State Park trail to let them know right away. One of our plans is to get the phone number posted at most of the trail entrances.

LBHA will be putting up the full report of this event on our web page shortly, there will be a link on the first page of the LBHA site located at www.garlic.com/~lbha    The  dispatch number for State Parks is 916-358-1300.  Best thing to do is program it right into your cell phone.    The Comment form is located at www.garlic.com/~lbha/TrailComments.htm .  Please forward this on to anyone you know that rides the trails.  We will keep you posted on the progress of this situation.

Kathy Dombrowski

lbha@xxxxxxx

www.garlic.com/~lbha

Please be assured that all outgoing  mail

 from this address has been virus

scanned  and is safe.