Re: [RC] AZ - New, Fast-Evolving Rabies Virus Found - Truman Prevatt

Reporters get it wrong - the American public go into a mass panic? Naw - never happen!  Just look at the mass hysteria caused over the world wide epidemic of swine flu -oh I forgot it never happened. The WHO causes an undue panic with less than 1000 people out of a world population of 6.7 billion get swine flu. It roared ready to reduce the earth's population to half of what it is - but somehow it fizzled out. Most of the problems with swine flu was the reporting of swine flu and the mass hysteria it causes. The cable networks reporting of swine flu probably did more damage than swine flu.

So I expect there is a lot of hype and hysteria associated with this new onslaught of rabies. New viruses pop up daily. Some make it some don't - mutations are random events that either survive or don't based on natural selection. I expect the CDC and other scientific bodies are working the issues. It may or may not become a long term disease we have to deal with or it may die out on it's own.

Truman

Elizabeth Walker wrote:
Thanks folks.  I hope there is more followup of this in the news, and it becomes clear whether the reporter got it wrong or not.  Your takes make a lot of sense, and would certainly be a lot better news than the way it was reported, which made it sound as if this strain could be spread by much more casual contact.  I took the "like the flu" part right out of the article.