[RC] 5 Day Work Week Woes & Conditioning - Vchorsegal

I prefer to ride longer rides once or twice a week than to ride 4 to 5 times a week for an hour or 2, as a few people like to do.  If you can get in a short session mid-week ( arena or trail- preferably hilly trail ) and do a long slow trail ride on your weekend you can do it ! My hubby & I were able to condition for 50's only once a week years ago.  We did a 16 mile hilly loop in about 4 hours. 8 weeks later the horses were fit and occasionally Top Tenned. They had a bit of a base before that- so that is also a factor. I think the horses learn to take care of themselves a lot better with the longer loops. I have seen horses used to doing 2 hour sessions fast that wait to drink & eat until they get home.  This is a problem at rides ! I think also once you do a ride or two  after you start your season, your horse reaches a new level of fitness.  If you are willing to go slow in the beginning it will take you a long way. Happy Trails !  A full moon is a cool time to ride !  - Heidi Helly