Re: [RC] AZ - New, Fast-Evolving Rabies Virus Found - Kathy Mayeda

Rabies wasn't even on the recommended list of vacs at least for the
time I've owned horses.  I guess Rabies had been pretty much in
control.  My indoor cats certainly never had a Rabies vaccination.

They just added Rabies to the list for horses last year.  Seems like
they were expecting this resurgance in Rabies.  I think I vaccinated
for Rabies only twice before because I do have pasture horses. I did
vaccinate for rabies because it's a deadly disease that has a simple
prevention.

Potomac fever is a regional thing.  I did vaccinate once because of
all things I struck up a conversation with a clerk at a sportings good
store and her horse that was boarded really close to my horses had
just recently died of a confirmed case of Potomac Fever (by UC Davis)
which is not endemic to our area.  Apparently it was an isolated case
because no one mentioned Potomac Fever since.  According to some
literature, it can also be called the "Shasta crud" and can be found
in way Northern California.  And I haven't vaccinated for Potomac
Fever since.

Kinda wierd that a vet wouldn't know about Potomac Fever when lay
people obviously know about it!

K.