[RC] Trailering-feeding-choke - k s swigart

Cindy said:

Several people there said they would NEVER
?feed a horse (grain or hay) while being trailered
?as feeding while trailering can cause choke.

I always have hay in the trailer for mine. Always
?have. Likely always will. But, anyone have this
?experience or heard of this?
?
Horses can choke on their feed at any time; the concerns associated with choke
in the trailer are:
?
a: Depending on how you have the horse secured in the trailer and where the
food is, it is more difficult for the horse to lower its head so it can clear
the choke on its own before it causes problems.?It is not, however, impossible
for a horse to clear a choke even without its head lowered.
?
b: With the horse closed up in the back of the trailer unattended/observed, you
may not notice when the horse chokes, so you won't be able to do anything about
it. Of course, this is also true if you aren't always close by any time the
horse is eating

I have had different horses choke both in a trailer and not in a trailer. In
both instances the horse was able to clear the choke itself without further
incident.

Personally, I feed my horses in the trailer.

I feed my horses not in the trailer too.

In my experience, horses are more likely to choke when they bolt their food,
and they are more likely to bolt their food after it is?withheld or they fear
that it is going to be withheld.? If horses have food in front of them all the
time, they are less likely to bolt their food (and choke on it).

I don't worry about them choking on their feed because I feed them all the time
and if I were going to worry about them choking I would either have to stop
feeding them or spend my life worried.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)