[RC] Biltmore highlights - Mary Howell

OK folks, here's some details until Angie can give you a full report:

50 Milers: Bob Geilen won and BC'd; I was near out timers waiting to leave
on my 3rd loop when Dinak Rojek came running up with any ride managers worst
nightmare - a key gate on the Blue Loop road along the French Broad River
had somehow gotten locked, holding up the front runners for 47 minutes.
Cheryl Newman explained at Sunday's awards that they figured out a way to
factor in the delay to everyone's times so things worked out fairly for
those who were delayed. The gate was open by the time 75 & 100s came through

75 Milers: Congrats to local rider Bonnie Hannah who won on Rezus Respite. I
think BC went to Stagg Newman's horse Super ridden by Dom Freeman of Britain

100 Milers: Valerie Kanavy on Spectacular Gold "Spec" wond and BC'd (same
horse that won the 2008 NC 50 and 2009 FITS 100) I was heading out our next
to last loop when we saw her coming in for her completion and think she
finished as early as 7:15pm. Farzad Faryadi and Bullwinkle were 2nd and
Nicky Young on Not Tonight 3rd. There was about a 62% completion rate.

We got lucky on weather - rain mid-morning Friday but no extended rain
Saturday, just a few showers now and then that kept the climate humid
although not too hot. Sunday morning the rain came back as folks were
packing up.

Many of us 100 milers were aiming for Certificates of Capability (12 hour 18
minute for 100 mile FEI riders) and for my friend Megan Savory and her two
half Saddlebred horses Shamwari and Shaani (who I had the pleasure of riding
- what a trot!) it was mission accomplished with about 25 minutes to spare.
Phew!!!

Both Megan's horses and also horse Shiloh being ridden by Sarah Schick in
the 75 benefited from using EZ boots over shoes on that last orange loop.
The newly laid gravel ride management e-mailed everyone about the week
before the ride definitely added another challenge!

One of my favorite things about this ride, other than the trails and
scenery, was the excellent food - Ann Pfeiffer's goodies at the Sunday
awards were delicious!

I hadn't ridden FEI since 2003 and honestly it wasn't that big a deal - I
wore a polo short instead of a t-shirt, added a weight pad to get to the 165
lb minimum and got yelled at once because we were feeding some hay while
waiting for a free vet. The vets staff were thorough and the volunteers
handled their duties like professionals - especially the timing staff.

Many thanks to all who made this ride such an experience - Mary Howell in VA