[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] Australia: Endurance rider in a coma - Merri

Abc.net.au

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:54pm AEST

One of Australia's top endurance horse riders is fighting for her life in the Canberra Hospital.

Meg Wade remains in a coma after falling from a horse at Easter during a competition at Tumbarumba in New South Wales.

It is not known what caused the accident during the event.

Her husband Chris Gates says the doctors are hopeful she will recover from the serious head injury.

"'We had a brief meeting with her neurological surgeon at the end of last week, and much to our surprise he was happy with her progress," he said.

"You know she still is unconscious but her conscious level is rising.

Mr Gates says the phone calls and letters of support from the international horse riding community have been wonderful.

"Everyone's in shock. This is an injury that every horse rider fears. That's why we all wear helmets."

Interview with Chris Gates

--
Posted By Merri to Endurance Riding: News at 5/02/2009 10:30:00 PM