[RC] Gods and Generals ( was who i would like to ride with) - Tom Sites

Hello Mary,  If i was Simon on American Idol i would have said..."the movie was horrible",  but it was an experience.  They were looking for beards of the period and for the extras the more unkept the better.  So i guess i fit in. If this ever happens again you ladies should put on a fake one and wear mens clothes like Joan (Also known as Jeanne, Jehanne or if you look at her signature its Johanne).

The re-enactors were used a lot and some of those period costumes cost up to a $1,000 a set.  Its big money and they take the whole period thing seriously.  You should go to one of their 'skirmishes' or battle re-enactments someday and see.

I think the 'horsemen' were not nearly as good as the real ones, as the CSA were some of the best horsemen in the war/world at the time.  They also had the best horses until attrition took its toll. A horse is always a bigger target.

Robert E. Lee was one of the finest military leaders we ever had and he was a good man who unfortunately found himself on the losing side.  There is a big field with a vista  in Orange Va. where he spent the winter of 1863-64 after the battle of Gettysburg where he slept in a tent while all the line Generals stayed in the comfort of the local manor houses.  Lee wanted to be with his troops and i've been to the spot he stayed and the rocks to the chimney for his heated tent are still there in disarray.  This was even after he had what many thought suffered a heart attack after Gettysburg, but he wanted to be near his 30,000-40,000 troops,  remnants of the Army of Northern Virginia who were demoralized after Gettysburg.  I've thought of how i want to rebuild that chimney.  There is a sign on Rt. 20 north of Orange called Lees Camp if anyone ever goes by that way and takes the time to see.

While the extras had real beards the Generals in G&G's had such fake beards i found it humorous.  For the money spent they could have done better.

I will say that the food fed on the set was very,very good and endurance riders would have been better horsemen than the re-enactors.  So Girls, put on your beards and pants and show up for the casting call. Be like Johanne who took an arrow in the neck and a cannonball to her helmeted head and kept riding for her visions and dreams.

ts