[RC] listening to music while on trail - Jonni

I have an Ipod shuffle. Tiny little guy, that is the size of a matchbox. It clips on my helmet harness strap. We then took a set of the ear buds, and wired them on to the helmet, so they attach to the harness strap, lined up near my ears, but not IN my ears. I can listen to the Ipod, but have the volume as such to hear the surrounding noises if I choose. Works great for me.

Not every individual has the same feelings on listening to music while riding, or at any time. Some have music as a large part of their lives, and some may never ever buy a new CD, or even listen to the radio. Just because one chooses to listen to music while riding does not mean they are in error to those who want to hear nature around them. Your choice, one way or another. I have known some endurance riders who had thousands of miles, and were completely deaf. Does that mean it was a danger to them to be riding when not able to hear horses coming up behind, or even a rattle snake in the bushes? While our hearing is a large part of being aware to situations on the trail, we can also pay attention to our horses, and what they are telling us. I have found my horses is often less silly and reactive when I listen to music, as I am not looking for "boogers" in the woods, and while I sing along so only my horse can hear me, he too, relaxes more. Works for me, does not matter if it works for someone else. ;-)

And, in answer to what kind of music, I have local Texas country artists loaded in the Ipod. Besides the horses, the local music scene is very much part of our lives. So, I combine the two often, as I trot down the trail.

Jonni