Re: [RC] Manger-style trailers - Elizabeth Walker

I don't quite agree here.  My old trailer is exactly what you are talking about - 1985 Logan straight load with manger and a short ramp with Dutch doors above the ramp.

I'll give you the steep, slippery ramp -- I used Lynx Levelers to raise it to a better angle, but it was still slippery in the rain, and Caisson knew it.  He would load with no trouble in the dry, but when it was raining, he would get nervous, and rush.  He likes my new, low-angled, non-slip ramp *much* better - first regular ride, it rained, but when he stepped on the ramp, you could see him relax when he found how non-slippery it was.

I also wanted something that let him get his head down - which the manger prevented, and I wanted the newer suspension for a smoother ride.

However, I didn't see any evidence from either him or my previous horse that he was unhappy or stressed when traveling in it.  If a horse doesn't like the trailer, they are going to get out as soon as possible - not stand there munching hay and looking out the manger window while you pull on their tail, call and wave, trying to get their attention ... "yoo hoo - want to get out anytime soon?".