From: Dot Wiggins <dotwgns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Beverley H. Kane, MD" <sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Steph Teeter <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; RideCamp List <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:49:09 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] doping//stress fractures/anabolic steroids

I wonder if, besides the possible influence of various drugs, there is a tendency to keep horses in training for long periods of time?  Without rest periods to rebuild?
I know Ti spent some time consulting at one of the UAE stables in the early days of endurance there.   He didn't seem to feel a need for any break in hard training.  Maybe they are still following his protocols?

I don't know a lot about really high pressure training but I do know rest is important to both horse and human athletes.   Without time to rebuild stressed tissue, stress fractures can happen.

And the old wisdom has always said it's not the miles, it's the speed that hurts.

JMHO