From: Bruce Weary DC <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: RideCamp <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 11:27:11 PM
Subject: [RC] Drugs

  Steph said:
  "One thing that is interesting is that the vets over there are observing an increased incidence of stress fractures."

This could be from the effects of greater speeds, I suppose, but there are other factors to consider. The PPI drugs have been shown
to cause a very significant increase in the incidence of hip fracture in humans. The "uber-intensive" conditioning schedules may cause so much
bone remodeling that without enough rest periods, the bone matrix may be disrupted and less able to handle stress. Fractures in human Olympic athletes while in
competition are not rare, and they are under tremendous physical demands that may exceed their bodies' tolerance. And, of course, depending on how creative one gets with nutritional strategies that are designed to eke out a performance advantage, the metabolism of calcium, which is the most regulated ion in the body, may be disrupted and have an effect on bone metabolism, structure and strength.

Pushing envelopes usually has a price. We are the stewards of these fine animals, who have no choice in the processes we put them through. I think we owe it to them
to compete well within their actual physiological capabilities. When we get too close to the edge, someone is bound to fall off.

  But, that's just me.  Bruce Weary