Re: [RC] is this rude" - Barbara McCrary - Barbara McCrary

Drafting is allowing another horse to set the pace, thus encouraging your horse to keep up, especially if your horse is tired or disinterested in going along on his own. The woman I described told me I should share the duty of setting the pace, rather than just allowing my horse to use hers as the pace-setter. Nothing was farther from my thoughts. I was trying to be polite by allowing her to be in front, particularly when we crossed the finish line. I have often thought that someone coming along and blowing by me, especially at speed, was a bit rude, but I've found myself in the position of wanting to pass one or more riders. I usually slow down, chat a bit, then ask if it's OK to pass them. One time on a multi-day ride, I passed 17 horses within the last 5 miles using that technique. I'm just not competitive or ruthless enough to pass someone without at least saying a few words and asking permission to pass. For me, manners takes precedence over placing. Obviously, I'm not a top competitor. :-))

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF" <carrie.kitley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] is this rude" - Barbara McCrary

I'm sorry, but what is "drafting" off a another person's horse? I've never heard that before. I'm following this thread and thinking that I may have unknowingly done rude things on rides simply because I was just trying to stay out of people's way and ride my own ride. Seems there's a lot more "etiquette" to pay attention to than I ever realized. Maybe a bit too much, bordering on tedious? Barbara, I would have done exactly what you did in this case. And what Kat said about the other gal maybe just trying to steer clear was what I would think also. Carrie

It's interesting what different riders will call rude. I was riding with
a woman in a multi-day and we were near the end of that day's distance.
I THOUGHT I was being polite by staying behind her, thinking she could
finish before me and get credit for one position higher. Instead, she
became miffed with me for riding behind, accusing me of drafting off her
horse. I apologized, rode ahead, and I don't remember which of us
finished ahead...not that it made any difference.

Barbara