Re: [RC] re: why would somebody do this? - Kathy Mayeda

LDs do serve a purpose as training rides.  Yes, I can ride 25-35 miles
any time I want, but how can you simulate a ride start?  My old
retired endurance horse got extreme race brain and I had to graduate
to doing 50 milers right away after doing a single LD so that I didnt'
perpetuate more race brain.  We both learned a lot together.  We never
got race brain during conditioning rides, but we sure got race brain
during competition.  I think we both just wanted the thrill, not the
prize.  Mixed success, learning the ropes with a metabolically wierd
and crooked horse with a lot of heart and go.

I now am working on getting a real emotional horse ready to do
endurance.  He's been a "project" for years. I did take him to an LD a
long time ago, we had a really sane ride start, but he lost his mind
when he got lapped by the fast 50's.  This is hard to simulate in a 25
regular conditioning ride.

For the past few years I've done a few lackadaisacle LD rides just to
ride with friends who wanted to try endurance, with totally mixed
results.  I still had fun.

I don't need a lot of recognition for either LD's or 50's.  I'm happy
to go to rides that give bungie cords as a prize.  I'm not a top 10
rider, nor do I really aspire to be.  I don't think that I'm the only
one riding endurance that feels this way.  The prizes and recognition
is secondary to riding in beautiful country with your best pal.  And
the sense of accomplishment of finishing a ride.  That's enough award
for me.

K.