[RC] The Boston Marathon - k s swigart

Barbara said:

How do you think management of the Boston Marathon
?would take it if John Doe runner ran along with the
?Marathon on the same?course on the same day.?
?
Well...I cannot speak to the Boston Marathon specifically, but I do know that
my brother (completely unentered) jogged along with his son (ran the whole
event) for part of the Seattle Marathon, when my nephew did that.? And I doubt
that the organizers of the event gave a rats ass.?
?
In fact, I think it is a common practice (I am pretty sure I have seen it on
news clips of marathons) for friends/relations/or even just well wishing
observers?to jog along with entered participants to provide encouragement and
cheer them along.? I know that was what my brother was doing for his son.
?
Personally, I think the AERC's rule about being paced or prompted by unentered
horses to be a rather silly one.? Hazed by a vehicle?? Sure, but to require
participants to determine the entry status of any other horses on the trail and
to have to avoid them if they are not entered in the same event????
?
If all that is required to be disqualified from an AERC ride is to have ridden
along with somebody who was not entered into the event, this provides a great
opportunity for unentered riders (who probably cannot be banned from using the
trail)?to get entered riders disqualified.? If all I, as a member of the
public,?have to do in order to help my friend who is running in second place
into first place is to saddle up an horse and ride along with the front runner
thereby getting him disqualified for being "paced or prompted" by an unentered
equine,,,,hopefully you can see the problem here.
?
kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)