[RC] farrier/shoeing question - k s swigart

GP said:

> ... and am wondering is 3 weeks out for shoeing for a 30 ride
> too much "time on feet" prior to the event.

The short answer is: no.

The longer answer is: While I like for my horse to have had its shoes on for a couple of weeks before going to a ride, it certainly is not necessary (and, in fact, if the horse has had its shoes on for about two weeks at the start of a 5 day ride, it will have had them on for about three weeks by the end of it).

Horses that did the 8 week long 2001 XP ride did hundreds of miles with shoes that they had had on for anything varying from zero to probably six weeks.

And people who regularly train their horses at home at long distances (i.e. they don't just ride long distances at rides) will ride their horses 30 miles at pretty much any time in the shoeing cycle (although not usually  the next day).

kat
Orange County, Calif.