Re: [RC] Survey: What is "the Sport"? (was: Pony Club Endurance...) - Truman Prevatt

Here I think is where the problem lies - the difference between "Endurance Riding" and an Endurance Ride.

Our bylaws are very clear. "Endurance Riding" is the sport. It is also very clear from the bylaws that Endurance Riding consists of two types of events - one called an "Endurance Ride" and the other called a "Limited Distance Ride."

Nowhere is there any indication of "training" or "levels."

So the way I read the bylaws - any one participating in either an Endurance Ride or Limited Distance Ride is participating in the sport of Endurance Riding. I expect when someone calls themselves an "Endurance Rider" they are really referring to a person that participates in the sport of Endurance Riding and by our bylaws they would be correct independent if the event was an Endurance Ride or a LD Ride.

I think the Bylaws does a pretty good job with it's definitions and give that most of us voted for it a short time ago.

Truman

Barbara McCrary wrote:

I have no problem with the current definition of endurance riding, i.e. nothing less than 50 miles.  I also believe that riders who make a career out of riding LDs want to include LDs as "endurance."  I realize that the day has come, or will very soon, that I will not be able, or perhaps not want, to ride 50 miles...and certainly not 100.  Age has a way of limiting one's capability and tolerance of pain and fatique.  But that will not bring me to demand that LD rides be called "endurance rides."  I will be doing LD rides for the fun, the ambience, the camraderie, and the interaction with my horse.  I will not be doing it for trophies, credit of any kind, or bragging rights.  I do wish this endless argument would go away.  It crops up every so often.

Barbara

--
"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." H. L. Mencken