Re: [RC] Question(s) for the Shoers (already heard from the barefoot people =) - Dawn Carrie

Michelle,
There is no "shame" in "needing" to shoe your horse.? It sounds like when you condition, you have little choice other than to condition on gravel/rocks and similarly abrasive surfaces.? The face that your mare is getting sore is not necessarily a reflection on her hoof quality.? Even horses with the best hoof quality can only grow hoof just so fast.? If they wear it off faster than they grow it, through moving about on their own, or through being ridden, they will be sore.? As you condition her, you owe it to her to do something to protect her from being sore.? That might be shoes, boots, or?fewer conditioning miles.? Obviously, you need to do a certain amount of conditioning for the level of riding (LD, 50s, 100s, etc.) you plan to do.? If that level of conditioning is wearing hoof faster than she can grow it, then you need to consider shoes or boots.? Personally, I would do shoes, since booting every time I ride would be a pain in the...well, you know where.? <G>? But some riders do it and it works well for them.
?
It sounds like you are working thorugh the emotional issues.? Our sport puts a lot more wear on hooves than horses would put on naturally.? And as you said, needing some sort of hoof protection doesn't mean a horse has bad feet or poor hoof quality.? It just means that the rider has acknowledge the demands of our sport and recognized the need to do what's needed for the horse's comfort.? :)
?
Dawn Carrie, Texas