[RC] horse personalities - Charlesey Charlton

My first horse was given to me when I was 10 years old. She was an 18 year old Tenn. Walking mare (18 seems to be a reasonable age for a child's horse)...I was raised on a working cattle/tobacco farm in E. TN, needless to say there was NO lessons or helmets!

My parents handed me the horse and said - "You wanted one, there you go, have fun, and if you don't care for her and ride her, then we will sell her."

That's all it took! I was determined to ride her.

To catch this mare I would spend 2-3 hours chasing her in a 30 acre pasture, then once I caught her and saddled her up she would then run off with me at top speed! She was so dominate!

But after being ran off with a thousand times and and bullied more times than I can count I learned as a child to preserver and 10 years later when we had to put the old girl down....I cried for her and mourned the loss of a great companion and yes, friend.

That mare was mean and stubborn but she was my greatest comfort and gave me plenty of life lessons in "taking the bull by the horns" so to speak....I still tear up if I think too much about her (I'm 30 now)...

Countless horses later, my first will always be the one who in my mind taught me the most. And though if I ever have children I don't think I would buy a horse like that for them, I am grateful for my parents for buying the mare, her strong personality taught me how to be the strong willed and determined individual I am today...

Charlesey Charlton
Sun Set View Farm
Registered Gelbvieh Cattle
http://sunsetviewfarm.blogspot.com/