[RC] vaccinations - sherman

Title: Message
My neighbor has a horse that's allergic to vacs. He doesn't get ANY vacs at all, AND he goes to shows often. He probably doesn't really socialize at shows, though, not like we do at endurance rides. Likely has his own water source, no sharing of feed or being handled by a vet or pulse taker that has handled 50 other horses.  His mom was allergic as well.

Kathy

vaccinations

What to do can depend on how the mare will be used. If not often in groups, then take Mary's advice - vaccinate only if it's for something that will kill them, and then only if the vaccine doesn't do the killing itself :) But if your neighbor plans to do a lot of group rides, or show, or Endurance, then a more comprehensive approach is necessary.

Often shots are given all at once and the horse gets sick from just one of the vaccines or a particular combination. I have a cat that would get horribly depressed after shots, not eat, lethargic, not drink water, NOT GOOD. So at his last annual checkup my vet gave him only one shot and handed the rest to me to take home and administer at one week intervals. It turned out that he was only sensitive to one of the shots and his reaction to it was substantially reduced by his not having to deal with all the others too.