[RC] New Mexico and Colorado and March -- and the Renegade Pioneer! - Carla Richardson

I'm unwinding from a great 4 days of being on the road and on the trail, back from another of Randy Eiland's great New Mexico (almost in Mexico, just north of the border!) rides, the New Mexico Renegade.? It's so far south, I have to go through a Border Patrol checkpoint on the way back, and I'm always a little worried that they won't let me back "in"?-- I know I look like a desert wild woman after camping?and riding in the desert sand for a day or two.? Amazingly enough, they?let me through, and they don't even ask to see my horse's papers.? So much for border security! ?As USUAL, Lizardhead Pass got me on the way home, with snow.? I think there's a wizard up there trying to keep me from getting home, or else mad that I left Colorado -- not sure, but this pass always hits me with snow when I'm hauling a horse.? It's always fun, after driving for 10 hours or so, to have drive over a mountain pass with snow whirling in the windshield.? At least it didn't stick on the road, this time.
?
The NM winter series are a great way to get started in the "new year" for us here in the (ahem) springtime rockies.? I just have to thank Randy, his family, and friends.? They?know how to do a ride, I think they've done this a few times.? :-)? Plenty of water, clearly marked trails, and experienced and friendly volunteers to cheer you on, it's always fun.? Plenty of sand, too, lots of sand and sun.? I was so happy that it wasn't hot -- at least on day 2 and 3.? I heard day 1 was hot, but I was traveling to the ride that day, so missed out - aw gee, I'm so sorry I missed the heat (NOT!) but it was perfect weather when I rode, thankfully!
?
As always, beautiful horses and people, and good food when we get back to camp - can't be beat.? And although I know I annoy Randy by coming in late, in the dark, by myself (I think it's because he thinks I might actually be lost out there... no chance of that, Randy, I have a homing device for supper) it's a really great way to spend the weekend.
?
Thanks for a fun time.? And a special thanks to the vets, and to Roger Taylor, who keeps me going with his big voice!
?
Carla Richardson
Colorado