[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] UAE: 60 riders register for Al Jaber race - Merri

Gulfnews.com

M. Satya Narayan
March 17, 2009, 23:09

Abu Dhabi: Some of the UAE's top lady riders will be seen in action this Friday in the Al Jaber Group Endurance Cup for Ladies - a 90-km national ride to be held at the Emirates International Village in Al Wathba.

Addressing a press conference here yesterday, Antonie Chamy, the group administration manager for the Al Jaber Group said: "Our chairman, Obaid Khalifa Al Jaber, takes great pride in supporting activities in the community, be it sport or other related events."

"The Al Jaber Group Endurance Cup for Ladies is of particular importance and we take great pride in being part of this endeavour," said Al Jaber, in a statement read on his behalf.

"This is not the first time that we have been associated with endurance races, as we have supported and sponsored such an event in the past. But Friday's 90-km Al Jaber Group Endurance Cup for Ladies is of special significance as this sport is part of the UAE's heritage and culture," said Al Jaber.

"The UAE riders are already well-known all over the world and have won every major international championship. We hope that this Al Jaber Group Endurance Cup for Ladies will help encourage more riders to join the sport and throw up more champions," he said.

Lara Sawaya, Tasweeq managing director, said over 60 riders had confirmed their entries for the ride.

"This number may go up. A total purse of Dh400,000 which includes a car for the winner will be up for grabs," she said.

Friday's ride is being held under the patronage of Shaikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Presidential Affairs.

--
Posted By Merri to Endurance Riding: News at 3/18/2009 01:38:00 AM