------/ \------
(cannons - I tried to show curved cannons. The Myler is curved both forward and up.) The "O" is where the hinges are.

Did that help any? Or is it now just as clear as mud?

On Mar 16, 2009, at 7:40 PM, k s swigart wrote:

From: Lori Bertolucci loribertolucci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kat, if you must know why I prefer such a bit...I have disabled hands,and at the
start of an endurance ride, my horse gets strong on the bit and pulls. The
leverage a correction gives me helps considerably.

I can understand wanting to use a leverage bit (of which a Kimberwicke is one), for whatever reason. In fact, I have some leverage bits in my tack room and use them often. What I was trying to understand, because I have never heard of it before, is what is a "correction MOUTHPIECE" that was wanted for a Kimberwicke and how is this different from any of the other types of mouthpieces that get put on Kimberwickes (I have seen Kimberwickes with single jointed mouthpieces, mullen mouths, and low port mouths). So....how is the correction mouthpiece different from these???

And if it is just a description of a mouthpiece, then presumably you can put an egg-butt ring on it and have it as a snaffle, in which case the correction mouthpiece WOULDN'T be a leverage bit. So, I can understand that if you have disabled hands why you would want the leverage provided by a Kimberwicke, but I still don't understand how changing the mouthpiece on a Kimberwicke would change the leverage. The leverage of a Kimberwicke comes from the length of the upper cheek piece, the placement of the rein on the rings at the side, and the adjustment of the curb chain.

It looks as though (although I cannot really tell from the pictures that Jonni pointed me to) the correction mouthpiece has a high port which may or may not come into play with the application of the reins and put pressure on the pallette of the horse's mouth, but, as I said, you cannot tell this from the pictures, as I cannot tell the extent to which the mouthpiece rotates in the horse's mouth when the rein is applied, or if there is a hinge/joint that makes it so this doesn't happen....can anybody tell me this? Does the port of a correction mouthpiece rotate upwards with the application of the reins...or even just one rein...since it appears that the action on one side is independent of the action on the other side?

I am not sure what the big deal is about using something you
 don't agree with...

How can I not agree with it if I don't even know what it is? And where did you get the idea that I don't agree with it? I certainly never said that I didn't.

I asked, "what is it?" and was told what it was used for. And that description of what it is used for is no different from the use of any bit. In this case, telling me how it is used doesn't tell me what it is at all...except that "it can be used for a bit." I have no idea what, if anything, it is or isn't good for compared to all the other bits out there.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. Especially for those people with weak hands (for whatever reason), all the more reason to teach the horse to collect, raise its shoulder, and stop with the use of the seat and the legs and not have to depend upon your hands for achieving it. In my experience the way to get a horse to stop leaning on my hands is not to pull harder (the horse will always be able to pull harder than me, even if I have leverage), but rather to "push" harder with my legs. Get the horse's ass underneath himself and he will come off my hand with out having to pull.