[RC] Rehydrating your horse's skin and coat - Dream Weaver - sherman

Title: Message
My daughter's mare, 20 yr old Shadow,  also has sensitive skin, gets skurffy behind her elbow with the shedding and new growth of her coat, as well as the backs of her pasterns and the fronts of her back legs unless we scrub them down after every ride, which we do now. We don't use anything other than water unless she does get some skurffiness, then we use an anti-fungal topical. She also has awesome recoveries. I rode her today after only a couple of rides in 6 mos. We did 15 miles and after a fast trot and gallop for the last 3 miles, then a half mile uphill climb to the finish, she was at 60 in less than 90 seconds, at 48 in another 3 min.

Kathy

Karen wrote:

I have no idea, but I have read that somewhere and had people more experienced than myself tell me that - could be all fiction for all I know, but I have had horses that are more skin sensitive than others and those are usually the better recover-ers.  To me sensitive skinned just means that you have to be really careful to get sweat cleaned off of them, keep their armpits washed off in all types of weather and that I need to be a little more delicate when brushing or currying. Oh, and also very careful about fly sprays or other topicals - always test first.