[RC] [Enduring] Revising The Plan - Kevin Myers

Picture a really rough ongoing work environment; the sale and departure of our LQ trailer and an eye injury to one of Rusty's horses on Wednesday out in the pasture. It just did not seem like the universe wanted me to be at the Old Pueblo ride in Sonoita, AZ this weekend.

Steph and John Teeter loaded my two red CMK horses into their trailer with their own two horses; left the house and came and met me just about at my office in downtown Phoenix at 1:30 on Thursday. Sweet!

We made the trip south and west of Tucson and pulled into basecamp at about 4:30. We pulled in next to Steve Bradley so we could hook up to his internet and set up camp. We've spent the last four winters together, so we sorta know what makes each other tick: we were all set up for the four horses in about an hour. Sweet!

We were in bed early - a good 8.5 hours sleep is nice before a multi-day. We left the trailer windows open and enjoyed the warm Arizona night. I hopped up at 5:25 and started coffee; then oatmeal and off to saddle up Redford and take Far over to Clydea's trailer to enjoy the safety of a high-tie for the day.

Soon we were mounted and starting - my quiet little sleeper horse Redford gave a couple of small bucks as we left and before we knew it we were riding nicely with Steph, John, Clydea, Kevin Waters and Stephanie Palmer-DuRoss. The plan was to ride slowly and take it easy, It was not to be.

It was a nice group - we would ride the next 20 flat miles together - at about 12 mph - taking turns to open the numerous gates that would seperate us from the first vet check.

We pulled back into base camp at 20 miles and and 2 hours. The three boys ate and drank well and the 45 minute hold sped by. Steph made a sandwich (why don't my sahnies ever taste like that?) and we got back on and rode out the opposite way from camp. The trail was pretty and the views were stunning. There was some rock, but I've seen worse. It was a good day, and Red, Rhett and Mac were pacing well together, wapping lead place every few miles. The only drag was that we lost the company of Kevin Waters and Stephanie Palmer. They dropped back just out of sight and their company was definitely missed!

We came back into camp about 90 minutes later. The horses were less eager to eat than at the first check, but they ate enough and drank enough and we set back out for a very fast last loop. The three horses paced well together; and within three miles of the finish, we saw Joe Ingram and Dominique.

We'd had such a good ride that we decided we would pass them. They gave us a ride for the money - we all five cantered in (except Dominique's horse was trotting while we were almost galloping) - and breezed in across the finish line in fourth through eighth place.

What a ride! It just does not get any better! Just like Endurance.net says: Ride Far, Ride Well. I plan to do so tomorrow. I'll keep you posted :).

--
Posted By Kevin Myers to Enduring at 3/06/2009 04:15:00 PM