Re: [RC] On the other hand......... - Carla Richardson

My spookiest horse, ever, was a "foundation bred" AQHA quarter horse.  Many people think QH are docile, deadheads - ha.  He spooked quite often, would do a 180 that would leave me hanging like Wiley Coyote before I fell to the ground.  The least spookiest horse was my Top Gun, my retired, 20 yr old Polish Arabian, ex-race horse, who is now a pasture potato.  I love that horse, he carried me over scary mountain trails, through whitewater rapids, up and down and around, by ourselves in very rough country, over logs, through bogs (well, he didn't like bogs, neither do I), and he never, ever, ever failed me.

QH can be extremely hot, even though so-called "foundation bred," and Arabians can be extremely level-headed, even though race bred Polish "hot heels."  Gaited horses can do the miles.  I think it's quite telling, that the top 3 horses in high mileage this year are not Arabians - 1st is a Colorado Ranger, 2nd is TN Walker cross, and third is a Spotted Saddle Horse.

One of the fastest horses I ever rode was a roping trained quarter horse, 30 years old when I rode him.  He was "legally blind" but he trusted his rider - any rider - he was so well trained.  Stupid me, I was showing off, and I kicked him into an all out gallop in the pasture.  He ran blindly, trusting me.  I stopped him just short of the fence, he would have run through it because he couldn't see it.  I'm still ashamed of doing that, so many years ago.

On the other hand, never be fooled by an outstanding individual, look to the long term, pedigrees, family history, and look at the rider as well.

Carla Richardson
Colorado