Re: [RC] Convention Rooms - Joe Long

Bruce Weary DC wrote:

I know what you mean, Kat. I am one of those dummies. After I spent $30,000 on trailer and rig, bought four horses, a couple of saddles, land to keep the horses on, expensive hay and feed, thousands in vet bills, insurance, tires, blankets, tights, buckets, tack, shoeing, etc., etc., etc., I am already spending an inordinate amount of money on my hobby. They expect me to throw in an extra $20 a night to support this sport that gives me back so much more than I could ever contribute? What am I, made of money? Dr Q I have to go to the store to buy some more caviar, which has also gone up, I might add. God, when does it ever end?

Lucky you. I had to buy a smaller truck than I would like, because that was all that I could afford. I only have a "camper conversion" trailer rather than a full living quarters, for the same reason. And, my my, when I travel I don't stay in luxury suites but in small, no-frills rooms because that's all I need.

If, as I do, you stay at another hotel and walk a few minutes to save money, the difference is more than $20 a night.

I'd personally prefer to see the cost of the convention facilities covered by convention and trade show booth registrations, not added into hotel fees where only those who stay in those rooms pay it.

There are very good reasons and good ways to support the sport -- let's not cheapen that phrase by applying it to booking blocked hotel rooms.

-- Joe Long jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx