Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5756 Aussies - Chipnml

In a message dated 2/20/2008 1:21:21 P.M. Central Standard Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The ones that come out of working lines are often the most intense.  Conversely, the one that come out of AKC lines are more apt to be coach potatoes
I HAD to respond to this, as the doting owner of my second Border Collie from herding stock.  I was very much against this breed getting AKC recognition for that very reason...the dumbing down of an awesome breed.  My feeling is if you can't deal with the intensity (and Aussies are just a couple clicks lower than Border Collies), go for another breed, but DON"T contribute to having that very essential trait being bred out of them to accomodate people who prefer something more placid.  My dog is with me 24 hours a day, does occasional herding, but is busy busy busy until we get home and she can relax on "her" papa-san chair!

Chip