From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of FXLivestock@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:22 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] [RC] AERC, USEF, and the awards banquet - Michael Maul

Mike,
   Using your reasoning below, could regional clubs or non AERC awards programs also be allowed to present awards at the AERC Convention.  I would love it if the PS & W 100 mile program could be part of the regional awards.  All of the accomplishments and recognition in these programs are given to AERC horses, AERC riders, and they earn these accomplishments only at AERC rides.  I am sure that it also could be announced that these are not AERC awards but AERC members being recognized for lifetime achievement in AERC 100 mile endurance events.
    I always thought that AERC awards presentation was specifically for AERC awards.  But both you and Bob have made it clear that this is definitely not the case.  In fact, with several new USEF awards being presented at the AERC convention it is obvious that this policy is evolving to be more inclusive of other groups that recognize endurance achievement.  Being that the West region and PS region do not have regional conventions this certainly makes our situation similar to the USEF.  Many West and PS riders do attend convention and this would be the perfect opportunity to present these awards as they do not conflict with or duplicate any AERC regional or national awards.

Kim Fuess

"If you do not believe that the AERC is supporting the USEF and FEI, just look at the program for the AERC Awards dinner on Saturday evening:"

Bob,

I appreciate your view but consider this.

For years - the awards banquet has had awards for AHA arabians, mules, quarter horses, appaloosas, BLM mustangs, TWH and so on.

AERC has asked that the presentation be made by a registry or breed association representative and to make it clear that AERC is not responsible for the award.

It is given at the AERC awards banquet though because it's an AERC member getting recognition with an AERC horse for their performance together.

In a similar way, AERC members are being recognized by USEF for their performance in mostly AERC rides during the 2007 season. Vonita Bowers is making the presentation for USEF and also making it clear that these are not AERC awards but recognition of AERC members for their performance in endurance. One of these awards is the Maggy Price Endurance Excellence award.

The USEF has a General Meeting where they hand out lots of awards in all disciplines, but endurance riders are recognized at the AERC Convention because that is where they go – not to the USEF General Meeting.

You could argue that AERC-I could present these awards in their committee meetings at the convention. But I personally think we can recognize all aspects of our sport briefly in our general meeting. We present a non-AERC award for a breed where there are less than 20 competing in AERC.

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.