[RC] Pres. Cup for Jnrs & Yr /AERC & FEI - Richard Sacks

Maryanne from your prespective there may be a difference between endurance riding and racing. But to the millions of neophytes who may watch this event in person or on television in 2010, they are one and the same. AERC has a lot to loose if the perception is negative. Individuals who own horses that are involved in any discipline here in the US have a lot to loose if the preception of endurance is cast in a negative light. Organizations like PETA and the Humane Society are highly organized and well funded. It is becoming increasingly difficult to keep horses in the US. Look at the example of the NYC carriage horses. The legislation proposed to eliminate them is supported by both PETA and the Humane Society. They would freak out if they ever attended an endurance "RIDE", no less race, here in the US. You are right that USEF and FEI control the the WEG. That is exactly my point. That is why AERC needs to be highly involved. The record and reputation of both FEI & USEF is less than stellar in many respects. This is not just a concern of language. It is a concern on what impact FEI & USEF have on my individual rights as a horse owner and an endurance rider. I think it is better to be proactive now (2 years out) rather than reactive when the s**t hits the fan 2 years from now. Otherwise someone will say "This was discussed 2 years ago, look it up in the RideCamp archives. How come nothing was done about it?"

Richard Sacks
rsacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.equipedic.com