Re: [RC] [RC] For what it is worth...yet to be seen - Steph Teeter

I doubt that it makes much difference whether we send riders to UAE rides or not. (in fact it's been a few years since any of our riders/ horses have even finished the course over here due to lameness or metabolic pulls). The trainers here buy all of their horses abroad and the USA is a miniscule part of their market. Basically we're viewed as fairly insignificant from a competition/economic perspective. So it wouldn't mean much if the USA were to decline an invitation to participate.

But I do believe that we need to keep our eyes open, and stay informed. As long as we do the same sport ' Endurance Riding' then we are all affected by what happens around the world. And I do believe that we (USA) still hold a lot of respect in the eyes of many. Mention of the Tevis still causes eyes to light up.

And I have nothing but respect for Sheikha Madiya - she puts the horses first and does not compromise her ethics. She is also UAE endurance, we can't forget that. And if she can recruit a few more over time - perhaps there are others here that would like to see more compassion for the horse in this sport.... And if I can possibly find a way to organize a mountain ride here with Madiya I will!

I have a lot more to say on this whole topic - and promise that I'll write more later. I don't think the sport in this incarnation (flat track racing) is sustainable. Horses were simply not built to run - to gallop - so far and so fast and they are not holding up and sooner or later the folks at the top are going to figure this out, especially if they want to see Endurance at the Olympics some day.

Steph

p.s. there are no longer kid camel jockeys over here. that was stopped by the folks at the top because of outside pressure.