Re: [RC] [RC] Youngster's endurance race - Maryanne Gabbani

Typical UAE thinking. Get a whole bunch of riders together to make a big media splash! Don't worry about qualifications or even the finer points of organisation (like seeing that guest riders are cared for).  Where's the bloody FEI in all of this? I'd say in the front pocket of whoever is paying for the nonsense.

This is the scenario we saw when they were pushing endurance in Egypt in 2000 just to get the numbers up. It gets reported in the local press in glowing terms so they figure that it's a big success....like other people never actually look to see what happens.  They'd offer cash or furniture bribes (refrigerators and televisions) to the idiot grooms in Nazlit Semman  just to get them to show up to ride a loop or two. Plenty of these idiots would get into racebrain mode and there would be damaged/dying horses to hide somewhere because of course none of these horses or riders were qualified. Later on, the grooms caught on after being promised cash that was never delivered and there was a memorable scene at the "Masters of Endurance" race at Giza when the grooms rode their required loop and then proceeded to walk off with their promised fridge or TV over the protests of the UAE guards. Turned into quite the mini-riot. Wish I'd seen it.

Maryanne

On Feb 13, 2008 7:41 AM, Steph Teeter <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 13, 2008, at 4:39 AM, CK wrote:

> How far were they racing?

120km (about 75 miles)

> What was the entry fee?

don't know - but most likely the kids didn't pay

> How did kids qualify for the race?

I don't think there were any qualifications needed

Steph

--
Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
msgabbani@xxxxxxxxx