[RC] Malignant melanoma -- any experience? - Patti Stedman

Hey folks.

Some of you may know my big gray gelding, Ned.

Last winter while we were crewing him at a ride in Florida, we noticed he had a small tumor on his penis (something easy to spot since Ned likes to display it at vet checks).  Otis pronounced it "benign looking" but recommended we have it removed when we got home, which we did, and it came back from the pathologist as a "benign melanocyte."  Phew.  <wiping brow>

It returned this winter in the same spot, larger and angrier looking.  Had it removed a week ago.  The pathology report came back today with the diagnosis:  malignant melanoma.  And the following comments:

"The mass has densely packed, epitheloid cells that have moderate to marked nuclear size variation.  Cells are variably pigmented and there is partial necrosis.  Mitotic activity is moderate to high and variable (1 to 3 per hpf).  Nuclei are large with vesiculated chromatin and large nucleoli.  There is epithelial invasion and some cells in vessels.  It has features that have classically been described as equine anaplastic melanoma and this has increased metastatic potential.  Clinic staging is advised.  There are a couple of separate foci of neoplastic cells involving vessels.  The sample has just a small portion of an apparent margin with intravascular cells within <1 mm of the margin."

I've got my vet making some phone calls to see what the possibilities are for treatment.  I know it's not good, particularly with the comments re: the neoplastic cells in the vessels, but am holding out hope that it's some freaky, flukey thing and he'll be out there for miles and miles more.   And I'm asking everyone I know what we can do.

You can drop me a line privately at procompsvc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if you have any advice or can point me in the direction of any new research.

Many thanks in advance.

--Patti

Patti Ann Stedman, CHMM
Proactive Compliance Services Inc.
"A Common Sense Approach to Health, Safety and Environmental Training and Compliance"
716 560 8297